Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Good Shepherd Candy Cane Holder Christmas Card Craft


The girls have been diligently coloring in Good Shepherd pictures (from Sunday School Fun Zone), to use for candy cane holder cards, for their Sunday school chums.

I can't show you their finished cards, because they have personal messages in them, so you'll have to get the idea from the demo card I made first.

Basically, I copied the picture from Sunday School Fun Zone, to my computer. Then, I used my photo editor to squish it horizontally 50%, leaving the vertical alone. I printed them two per page, as 5x7's, for the girls to color (I didn't color the demo).

We cut them out, so they looked kind of like bookmarks. And, cut slits (just folding the paper, vertically, and making little horizontal snips), above, and below the shepherd's hand, and just above one of the sheep's heads, for a candy cane to slip through.

The girls glued them to folded pieces of construction paper, card stock would be even better. They only put glue on the top, and bottom of the bookmark-like slips. That way, the candy cane goes through the coloring paper, but not through the construction paper.



Then, they wrote their friends' names on the outside (where I have Merry Christmas on my demo), and a short Christmas message on the inside. And, their cards are ready to be delivered on Sunday morning.

For more fun with Bible, and Sunday school crafts, and activities, check out this week's Bible Alive! Tuesday link-up, at The Fantastic Five.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I'm sure their friends will be very happy! Nice idea.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I have to remember this idea for the next year! I also just saw the cutest mouse shaped candy cane holder at Our Homeschool Fun - something to think about when daughter is older and can sew (hopefully better than I can)

Phyllis said...

Such a sweet idea!

Ticia said...

We just made Christmas cards today too, yours are very cute, but not mailable.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - No, these are strictly for handing out in person.

Unknown said...

I remember getting cards with candy as a child and I always thought those were the coolest cards ever. Your girls' pals are gonna LOVE these!

Debbie said...

These cards are so cute. I bet the receivers will enjoy them.