Sunday, October 4, 2009

Homemade Tootsie Rolls


We've been making a lot of sugary goodies lately, but my son was in the kitchen today, looking for something to do, and I couldn't very well turn him away. I'm all for encouraging his interests, especially when they take him away from video games for an hour or two. So, it was back to our "must try" recipe file. This time we chose a Tootsie Roll copycat recipe to try.

We actually found several different recipes for Tootsie Roll like candies. Some require cooking on the stove, and using a candy thermometer. Others, use the microwave to melt chocolate, before mixing. And finally, there's the really simple ones, that don't require any cooking at all.

We figured we might as well start with a simple one. I'm not sure who to credit for the recipe, it's another one of those that's become common knowledge. But if it was your original recipe, please let me know.

Mix together:

  • 2 tablespoons softened butter, or margarine

  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

  • 3 cups powdered sugar

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 3/4 cup instant powdered milk (some recipes call for dry milk instead, which is something entirely different - we used instant powdered milk).

  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup

Knead the dough until it is firm and smooth.



Roll it into a rope.


Wrap the rope in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about an hour.


Remove the rope from the plastic wrap, and cut into smaller sections.


Or, just shape each individual section by hand, after kneading.


Even the little ones were able to help with this step. The dough was very play dough like. In fact, if your thinking about making chocolate play dough - this would be an excellent recipe.


My husband, and the children, thought these were pretty close to the real thing. They certainly are yummy, and do taste similar to Tootsie Rolls. But, they are a little too soft. There's something about the texture that reminds me of the Ayds diet candies, my parents tried to keep hidden on the top shelf in the kitchen back in the 70's. Of course, those were pretty yummy too.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oooh! I used to LOVE Tootsie Rolls. They were a penny. =) I'll have to try this sometime, I'll be linking as well.

EmbeeArqam said...

This seems like an awesome recipe! I shall definitely try them. i especially love the idea of chocolate playdough and the wonderful possibilities of shaping that gives! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas and recipes. I need some advice ... Like u suggest I plan to give the dough as party favors ( make what u like to eat) but wanted to know how early can I prepare it and sotre .. does it have to be refrigerated ... shelf life.. THanks again...

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I wrapped the dough we didn't use, and kept it in the fridge, it kept for a couple of weeks. It's so quick to whip up though, I think I would make it as close to the party as possible. The candies the kids make are okay to keep out - we had our candy on the counter, under plastic wrap for the couple of days it took the kids to eat it, and it was fine that way, too. Hope that helps :)

Anonymous said...

Thank-you so much. Will surely tell you how it turned out.

Kathleen said...

this looks amazing! i just found your recipe via oneprettything.com and can't wait to try it! thanks!